[mapserver-users] ms4w with MapServer Demo...

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Nov 12 10:34:42 EST 2008

tuckeratwork wrote:
> I've really tried to figure it out.  I've searched the forum and I've only
> found one other person who had the exact same problem that I'm having - and
> no one ever responded to his posting.
>
> I've installed ms4w.  It worked fine.  As background, I'm barely familiar
> with Apache.  I then downloaded the "MapServer Demo" which looks like a set
> of tutorial datasets based around something called "MapServer Itasca
> Application" - this is all from the MapServer New Users document.  I'm now
> directed to place the "workshop" folder "someplace in your web tree."  Then
> you're supposed to edit index.html and view it in a local browser window.
>
> I put the workshop folder into the Apache/htdocs directory because I believe
> that puts it at the root of my localhost server.  And in fact, when I load
> http://localhost/workshop/index.html, the html file gets loaded.  The
> problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to edit the html file to have
> it point to the proper directories for the rest of the MapServer
> configuration.
>
> The things that need to be edited in the index.html file are:
>

>         // EDIT THE NEXT 2 LINES TO MATCH YOUR SETUP
>         var snippet = "IMAGEPATH '/usr/local/www/docs_maps/tmp/'";
>         snippet += " IMAGEURL '/tmp/'";
>
> and
>
>     <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->
>     <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv50"
> onSubmit="configure()">
>
> and
>
>       <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
>       <input type="hidden" name="map"
> value="/usr/local/www/docs_maps/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.0/itasca.map">
>       <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv50">
>       <input type="hidden" name="root"
> value="/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.0">
>

> I've made scores of edits to those three sections.  This is how I think they
> really should be:
>
>         // EDIT THE NEXT 2 LINES TO MATCH YOUR SETUP
>         var snippet = "IMAGEPATH '/workshop/tmp/'";
>         snippet += " IMAGEURL '/tmp/'";
>
> and
>
>     <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->
>     <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe"
> onSubmit="configure()">
>
> and
>
>       <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
>       <input type="hidden" name="map" value="/workshop/itasca.map">
>       <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe">
>       <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/workshop">
>

> Launching the index.html file produces:
>
> mLoadMap(): Unable to access file. (/workshop/itasca.map)
>
> The file "htdocs/workshop/itasca.map" does exist but it obviously isn't
> going through the Apache path to get there.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  This is terribly embarrassing...

The MapServer Itasca demo application is available as an add-on package
for MS4W and can be downloaded at the same location:
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html (no
configuration needed)

Also, be aware that the MS4W mailing list exists for configuration
questions like yours (subscribe at:

Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/