[mapserver-users] UTF-8 + SDE + GetfeatureInfo

Chris Whitteker chris.whitteker at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:46:23 EST 2008

Hey everyone,

We're having a bit of a problem performing getfeatureinfo queries with mapserver.  The french characters are coming out of the database as ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8.  The database and servers are configured as UTF 8, the map files and the query templates too.  Actually text/plain also has problems so it's not the templates.  We're trying to encode everything as UTF 8 so me specificying ISO-8859-1 in the meta tag of the html query template doesn't work.
GetFeatureInfo results:

Layer 'SoilOrder'
  Feature 10894:
    OBJECTID = '10894'
    SLC_SOIL_ORDER_V31_22_ID = '81600931'
    SOIL_ORDER_NAME_EN = 'Chernozemic'
    SOIL_ORDER_NAME_FR = 'Chernoz�mique' <- error is here in my browser.
    SOIL_ORDER_PCNT = '84'
    SHAPE = '<shape>'
Any idea if there are outstanding problems here with SDE and mapserver not playing nice with this?  We're beating our heads against the wall thinking about what config we could have missed.

Oh - labels with french are fine, and so are legends; it's only the getfeatureinfo queries that have troubles.

Cheers,

Chris Whitteker