[mapserver-users] install issues

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Nov 23 01:45:13 EST 2008

Hi,

First thing to do is to call "mapserv" cgi-bin program.  Then the program is searching for a "mapfile" that is given by "map" parameter in the request. And finalle the mapfile is interpreted for making the final map image.  Mapfile has all the instruction about where to find the data and what to do with it.

In your case mapserv program is found, but the error message tells that the second step fails and the mapfile "world.map" is not found. Either the request must be edited so that Apache finds it or the mapfile must be moved to the directory where Apache now tries to find it with the current request.  I suggest the first solution. As did Frank, even his example request may be nonsense with two different "mode" options.
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/opt/maps/world.map&mode=browse&layers=all&mode=map

Most secure way is to give to full absolute path in the file system. In Windows it is something like map=c:\ms4w\apps\map\world.map, but I don't know about Linux.

-Jukka Rahkonen-