[mapserver-users] how to improve and speed Mapserver queries on PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Oct 3 12:50:46 EDT 2008

Turn on statement logging in PostgreSQL and extract the SQL that
mapserver is sending to the database.

Run that yourself in psql, using EXPLAIN ANALYZE to see what query
plan is being generated, and how much time the database itself is
taking.

Consider increasing the amount of memory you are devoting to
PostgreSQL shared_buffers, since 50,000 is a very small table and
shouldn't be slow for anything.

Know that if you're drawing 50000 things on your map, it'll be slow no
matter what your data source is.

P.