[mapserver-users] why 5.0.3 on latest linux distro's

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 10 06:10:05 EDT 2008

In my experiences with Fedora, they tend to keep the same version of
MapServer that the OS version was released with (so Fedora 9 has 5.0.2,
or something like that, by default).  As I want to use the latest
version, I build it for myself.  I bet that distributions tend to stay
with what they had when first released for map compatibility reasons.
It would be something to discuss with your distributions package
maintainers.

Christy