[mapserver-users] Access control for wms served from mapserver cgi

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Oct 19 20:58:06 EDT 2008

Hello list,

Does anyone on this list know of a simple strategy for configuring
Apache to restrict access to specific mapfiles served as WMS through the
cgi mapserv program?  I'd like to do is restrict access to specific IPs
for URLs like the following:
http://host/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/file.map[&...].

It's easy enough to limit access to the mapserv executable itself, but
I'd rather do it on a per-mapfile basis.  I tried a couple things using
mod_rewrite in apache, but anything I've tried so far doesn't seem to work.

I know that this sort of question has been asked before, but after
searching/tinkering for a while, I haven't found a solution that works
for me yet.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike