[mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Mon Oct 20 13:15:52 EDT 2008

> 1. Can we use our compressed ECW images as input for MapServer WMS?
> 2. Can we use ECW as an output format for MapServer WCS?

The license agreement says that the ECW SDK cannot be used "on a server"
then goes on to define that as a computer connected to the Internet
which provides images. I'd say that clearly rules out MapServer
consuming ECW. Very unfortunate, but in my opinion very clear.

In my tests, I have found that JPEG2000 and ECW are really too slow for
production use anyway. Maybe that's some "sour grapes" consolation? :)

  --
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
System Administrator, Lead Programmer

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA