[mapserver-users] Re: MS-SQL / OGR Query Length Problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 24 02:01:45 EDT 2008

Ben Madin wrote:
>   LAYER
>     CLASSITEM "outcome"
>     CONNECTION "<OGRVRTDataSource>
>     <OGRVRTLayer name='data'>

Ben,

Ah, I ought to have guessed it was also using VRT format.  This
does introduce a bunch of additional possible sources of the error.
The processing of the CONNECTION string for password encryption
for instance. And the VRT parser.  I've skimmed both of these in
the MapServer and GDAL trunks without seeing any obvious issues
but it is always possible.

>> I would suggest a few steps to try and isolate this:
>>
>> o See if you can reproduce it against other ODBC datasources.
>> o See if you can reproduce it with mapserv instead of php_mapscript
>> o See if you can reproduce it with just OGR and no MapServer.
>>
>> If you can reproduce the problem in a form that I can run at my end
>> without
>> undue complexity, I'd be willing to dig in somewhat deeper.
>
> I will try the steps you have outlined above - it's fairly torturous
> process to get things changed on the client server, so it might take
> some time, I will keep you updated.

I would strongly trying to reproduce a similar problem on your dev
server.  If the problem isn't really in MSSQL itself you should be
able to reproduce them with a similar version of MapServer and GDAL
against any other ODBC datasource.

Best regards,