[mapserver-users] 64 bit Windows OS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 27 20:26:38 EDT 2008

Bruce Cheney wrote:

> What are the current plans for supporting 64 bit Windows OS?
> Already doing it and I missed it?
> What would be reasons for not actively pursuing this?
> Are some of the supporting binaries to difficult to convert over or
> MapServer itself?
> Is it the challenge of maintaining two paths 32 bit and 64 bit?

Bruce,

I believe MapServer and it's supporting libraries can already be
somewhat laborously built for Win64.  There is no fundamental problem
with the software that would make it incompatible.

> The reasons I am asking are:
>
> Hardware and OS are coming this way now - 64 bit. We must go to some
> effort to downgrade to 32 bit.  The 64 bit obviously supports more RAM.
> More RAM = more concurrent users.  And there are probably other good
> reasons that I am at a loss to remember.
>
> Thanks for any wisdom you might have in this regards.

Honestly, a single instance of mapserver will not often make effective
use of more than 2GB of in process memory except for special activities
(like render super-tile sized images).  You will however get significant
benefit from having alot of RAM on a 64bit system even if you only have
32bit mapserver's since the operating system can effectively cache more
material from disk.

Best regards,