[mapserver-users] 64 bit Windows OS

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:44:02 EDT 2008

Bruce,

If you'd run your application in 32 bit mode (by using 32 bit
binaries) you can consider the following options:

1. If you are using IIS6 (Windows Server 2003) you cannot run 32 bin
and 64 bit applications simultaneously. You can force to execute IIS
in 32 mode globally according to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435/en-us
In this case you might also force the compilation of your application
to 32 bit by specifying the platform target to x86, something like:
<%@ Page Language="C#" ... CompilerOptions="/platform:x86" %>

This can be specified in the application web.config file as well.

2. If you are using IIS7 the 32 bit and 64 bit ASP.NET applications
can be run side by side. For more information in this topic refer to
the following article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rakkimk/archive/2007/11/03/iis7-running-32-bit-and-64-bit-asp-net-versions-at-the-same-time-on-different-worker-processes.aspx
In this case you'll also have to set CompilerOptions="/platform:x86
with your application.

With regards to the 64 bit path all of the dependencies have to be
compiled for x64 then. You might have to consider which features
should be included in the compilation many of the dependencies can be
compiled fairly well, however for some of the drivers like SDE I
couldn't obtain the proper version of the .lib and .dll files to
accomplish this task.

Best regards,

Tamas