[mapserver-users] Ed's Rules for the Best Raster Performance

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Mon Sep 15 19:01:50 EDT 2008

Has anyone tried Erdas Imagine .img files?

Robert Sanson, BVSc, MACVSc, PhD
Geospatial Services
AsureQuality Limited
PO Box 585, Palmerston North
NEW ZEALAND

Phone: +64 6 351-7990
Fax: +64 6 351-7919
Mobile: 021 448-472
E-mail: sansonr at asurequality.com

Jim Klassen wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone tested the performance of Jpegs vs. GeoTiffs?

Yep. In my tests, GeoTIFF was the fastest format by some margin, even up
to 2 GB filesizes. That was on 8-CPU machines, too. If you check the
mailing list archive, you'll likely find the "papers" I posted to the
list putting real numbers to it.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.