[mapserver-users] Re: [mapserver-dev] AGG/PNG && QUANTIZE_FORCE && --with-experimental-png => bad IE6 rendering

David Fuhry dfuhry at acm.org
Sat Sep 20 14:35:50 EDT 2008

(Apologies for cross-posting.  There is no mapserver bug here, only a
browser limitation workaround which might be helpful to some users.)

Mapserver's AGG/PNG driver w/ QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON and TRANSPARENT ON
generates an 8-bit PNG with per-palette-entry alpha transparency.  If
you use a transparent background, you'll face a problem: IE6-
(incorrectly) only renders pixels with a very high opacity.  The
attached script rewrites an 8-bit PNG's tRNS header, making all
non-completely-transparent pixels opaque.  (It is easy to modify this to
use a threshold > 0.)  The attached script, reimplemented at the
tilecache level if the requesting User-Agent matches /MSIE (5\.5|6)/,
worked well for me because:

1. Mapserver always renders AGG/PNG.  No need to special-case GD/PNG to
get transparent images for IE6-.  No need to cache duplicate images.
2. Avoids having to use the IE 5.5/6 PNG alpha-transparency hack, which
decimates performance [1].

Hope someone else might find this useful too.

-Dave

[1] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/77#comment:2