[mapserver-users] how can i create mapserver website in VS 2005 (VB)

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:26:04 EDT 2009

Hi

my answer are inline:

> 1.not required to install mapserver(ms4w) in server machine if we use
> mapscript interface...is it correct???
> 2.if like that how it is connected with mapserver ??

you don't need to use the installer, it is enough that the dll are
accessible to your web application, like suggested in the tutorial.
Set the path or copy them to the bin folder. If you do the latter you
can easily deploy your web application to a production server without
need to install mapserver.

> 3.if we use CGI then is it required to install ms4w in server????

as suggested above, only the dll are needed

> 4.cgi or mapscript which is the better option for creating mapserver website
> in vs2005???

if you want a nice API go with mapscript, otherwise you have to work
with CGI requests and responses.

> 5.is it required to run swig.exe in server machine for this mapscript
> tutorial???

No, swig is needed to produce the API binding for the various
languages, you don't need it to run mapserver as far as i know.

> 6.what is the supporting gis data format  in mapserver?

please refer to the documentation:
vector data: http://mapserver.org/input/vector/index.html
raster data: http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html

anyway being based on GDAL/OGR, whatever format is readable with it
should be accessed by MapServer.

> 7.i have my own gis data created using mapinfo professional...how can i add
> that data in to this file...is it possible to call mapinfo .mws from this
> tutorial???

don't know MapInfo, but again please refer to MapServer's documentation:

http://mapserver.org/input/vector/mapinfo.html

best regards
Paolo