[mapserver-users] MapServer on OS X - getcababilities no xml output?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Apr 1 09:43:17 EDT 2009

Asle Benoni wrote:

> When I use this URL
>
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/demo?request=getcapabilities&service=wms&version=1.1.1&map=/Library/WebServer/Documents/Naturkart/kulturminnekart/apps/demo/demowms.map
> <http://localhost/cgi-bin/demo?request=getcapabilities&service=wms&version=1.1.1&map=/Library/WebServer/Documents/Naturkart/kulturminnekart/apps/demo/demowms.map>
>
> I get a file downloaded "demo.map" with no file type. This is on Windows
> and from my Mac (demo without the .map extension and fileType:*
> application/vnd.ogc.wms_xml*). The file is an XML file so when I change
> the suffix to .xml it works. Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct, but for WMS, not WFS: application/vnd.ogc.wms_xml
is the expected MIME Type for WMS GetCapabilities responses. OGC has
moved back to using text/xml in later versions of its specs as those
custom MIME Types caused all sorts of trouble with very little benefits.

Note that in your example you are using SERVICE=WMS and not WFS, is this
really what you wanted?

> Is MapServer out-of-the-box a WFS service?

Yes and no. Out of the box it will respond to WFS (and WMS) requests,
but if your mapfile lacks some configuration information then it may not
behave according to spec. See the WMS and WFS server docs for all the
details:

http://www.mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html
http://www.mapserver.org/ogc/wfs_server.html

Daniel