[mapserver-users] port from Apache to IIS

Barend Kobben kobben at itc.nl
Wed Apr 8 04:12:03 EDT 2009

Hi,

Thi worked last year  for me, but I run IIS6. If not much changed between 6
and 7, it might help you:

0) Get the latest binaries (eg. the MS4W installation or any other) and
install
1) Create a virtual directory in IIS pointing to the dir where mapserv.exe
resides (eg. when using ms4w it's C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin) and give it an
appropriate alias name alias; for instance cgi-bin.
2) Set the execute permissions on this virtual directory to Scripts and
Executables
3) Accept the virtual directory
4) Go to Web Service Extensions in the IIS service manager
5) Select Add a new web service extension. On the required files tab, add
C:\YourMapserverInstalldir\mapserv.exe
6) Set it to allow
7) Through the security tab of the mapserver install directory, give IIS_WPG
(a standard system usergroup) read/write and execute permission on ALL the
underlying sub-directories
    7a) go to IIS manager
    7b) go to the server's "Web Server Extensions"
    7c) choose "add a new Web Service Extension..."
    7d) name it "mapserver_cgi" or similar, and press "Add.." near the
"required files" field.
    7e) find the mapserv.exe again (look for CGI's not for dll's!) and press
"OK"
    7f) set it's status to "Allowed".
8) Restart the "World Wide Web publishing service" in the services section
of the administrative tools
9) Test mapserv by running http:\\yourserver\yourmapservaliasdir\mapserv.exe
If you get the message "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set,
but empty." Mapserver under IIS is ready to go!

--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-Information