[mapserver-users] getExtent(c#) with Postgis data ...

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:00:44 EDT 2009

2009/4/8 Matej <matej at matnet.net>

>  Tamas, thank you.
>
> I have tried using Npgsql and mapscript_csharp and I can successfully
> connect to the database, but now I suppose I need .map files saved locally
> to get things working?

Not necessarily. You could also build up a map object from scratch and not
save it in the filesystem if not required. You could also not save the map
image just draw the contents of the imageObj and read the contents directly
into a GDI+ bitmap.

> Actually I am in the middle of choosing whether it is better to use
> SharpMap or Mapserver's C# libraries for building a desktop app? What are
> your (and everybody's else's) recommendations and suggestions about it?

I've already used Mapserver's C# libraries to create various .NET desktop
applications and it worked pretty well. You might however create an example
just to make sure about all the aspects before making the final decision.
I'm not sure about  SharpMap, isn't that a pure ASP.NET project?

Best regards,

Tamas