[mapserver-users] Painting outside a polygon.

Trent Erickson trente at umn.edu
Mon Apr 20 18:14:32 EDT 2009

If you are looking to make one specific feature inside a shapefile with
multiple features clear or transparent you can use the FILTER parameter
within the LAYER definition. In addition to setting the IMAGECOLOR at
the map level to the same color as your layer it may give you the
results you desire.

Following are two examples of using the FILTER parameter to make one
part of a shapefile layer disappear. It uses a field in the attributes
called "shapeid" you could use any field in your shapefile.

# the following will make feature with shapeid 12345 transparent and
leave the rest of the shapefile with default color rules
FILTER ( "[shapeid]" != "12345" )

# the following variation would use the shapeid= parameter provided in
the URL of cgi mapserver
FILTER ( "[shapeid]" != "%shapeid%" )

-Trent