[mapserver-users] Dynamic data loading using Google maps and Mapserver

Varun saraf vsaraf.gmu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:30:30 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have successfully drawn layers on of google maps as base using
mapserver. However, I am trying to figure out how to get data
dynamically displayed on the web page when a user clicks on a certain
area. For example, I have divided the entire state of virginia into
many sectors (using a polygon shp file). My requirement is that I want
data to come up on the map/web page when the user selects a particular
sector. I know google provides me with an event api for clicking on
the map but how do I pass this event to mapserver so it can send me
the label for that sector from the shape file? I need to be able to
recognize what sector the user has clicked. Is this possible using
just the mapserv cgi script and a map file or a MapScript has to be
written/used? Can someone point me in the right direction here? Even
providing the link for a previous discussion on this topic would help.

Thanks,
Varun