[mapserver-users] MapServer and SLD/SE

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Aug 12 11:32:25 EDT 2009

Alexander Reichelt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> thank you for your fast answer.
> Yes, the SE specification states that Rotation expects a number. The
> angle attribute in my PostGIS has the type 'real' so its supposed to be
> a number.
> So I have the following questions:
> - does the data type of the attribute cause the problem or
> - does the expression <ogc:PropertyName>...</ogc:PropertyName> cause the
> problem because MapServer doesn't support the access on a table
> regarding Rotation and only works with a fix value in general?
>

> Somewhere I have found a deprecated method for getting access on an
> attribute (which didn't use PropertyName), I also tried this and it
> didn't work. By the way, I'm using MapServer 5.4.
> Before I condemn MapServer for not supporting the attribute binding for
> Rotation: How could I check up if there's probably a type cast from a
> 'real' attribute of the PostGIS table to a 'string' attribute? Which
> other data type could I try rather than 'real'?
> Is there a way to track the exact request from MapServer to PostGIS and
> back again?
> Is there anyone who tried rotating via SLD/SE in combination with
> attribute binding and not just via a fix value?

Mapserver does not support reading the  PropertyName parameter and
applying an attribute binding. The only case where attribute values were
used was for the Text element in the class object (please refer to [1])

I have added support in the main trunk for the Rotation parameter and
listed all possible parameters that we can read and use attribute
binding. Development on this is tracked in #3085 ([2]). Please
comment/test inside the bug.

[1]: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1857
[2]: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3085

best regards,