[mapserver-users] shapefile manipulation

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 23 00:32:36 EST 2009

sunny74 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have got several shapefiles from which I am able to display map using
> mapserver.
> But the problem is that it has a srid value of -1 i.e no projection.
> As a result of this several functionalities which uses geometry are not
> working.
> I think the default srid value is 4326.Pls confirm.
>
> I want to convert the srid value from -1 to 4326.
> How can I do this using QGIS?
> I know this is possible using GEOMEDIA Web 6.0.
>
> If anybody has any idea or tutorial regarding .shp manipulation using
> Geomedia pls send it across.
>
> Thanks for ur replies.
>
> sunny74

I think you are asking the wrong list. You probably need to ask this
question on the QGIS of the GEOMEDIA lists.

Shapefiles can have an optional *.prj file the is generated by some of
the ESRI products and may other products. Mapserver does not look at
that file. You have to explicitly define the projection in the mapfile.

An SRID of -1 is typically what postGIS uses to indicate that no
projection information was provided for the shapefile when it was loaded
into the database table. Maybe QGIS uses the same convention.

Ask on the other lists.

-Steve W