[mapserver-users] newbie mapserver question

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Feb 9 10:20:03 EST 2009

Might want to look at OpenLayers too. Depending on the number of
objects you might be able to represent the objects using OL vector
features on top of a MapServer rendered roads layer. Or you could
render the objects in a second layer (generated on the server) using
MapServer and use OL to overlay them. You'd achieve better
performance that way.

Also, Perl/MapScript isn't available for Windows that I know of...

Steve

>>> new2ms4w <nagal005 at umn.edu> 02/08/09 7:15 PM >>>

Hello Everyone,

I've very recently started working on a project to display some moving
objects on a road network in the map.
I would like to (dynamically) display moving objects on a road map.
I got the mapserver up and running on my machine and have read some
documentation from the mapserver website.
What I intend to do is add some points to a layer on top of the roads layer
and keep changing their position so that they appear to be constant moving
on the roads.
Has anyone done this kind of stuff before. I would like to know if I'm going
in the right direction...

Also, can someone point to the Perl-Mapscript binaries for mapserver. I'm
currently using MS4W software which doesn't include them.

Thank you for your time.

~PN