[mapserver-users] Suggestions for OGC SOS clients? OpenLayers?

Emilio Mayorga emiliomayorga at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:09:31 EST 2009

MapServer can serve data via OGC SOS; I've been reading about this,
though I haven't tried it yet. What I'd like to ask is for pointers or
recommendations for open source SOS *clients*, preferably web
applications but I'd be interested in hearing about desktop clients,
too.

I found a presentation from FOSS4G 2008 that talked about the addition
of an SOS Layer type to OpenLayers:
http://www.terrestris.de/wiki/doku.php?id=vortraege:2008:foss4g_sensor
But it doesn't look like the code has made it to the trunk yet.

52North apparently has a client, but it looks like it's part of a
heavy and all-encompassing Java framework
http://52north.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=30&Itemid=45

I'd like something easier to use -- javascript, php, python, etc.
OpenLayers would be great. MapServer would be, too, but it definitely
looks like it doesn't support SOS as a client (I don't see any
documentation and haven't seen any chatter).

Thanks! Apologies for the broad question that's not really MapServer-specific.

-Emilio Mayorga
Applied Physics Laboratory
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98105-6698  USA