[mapserver-users] Patent on making maps on the Internet

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Feb 26 15:55:40 EST 2009

Some of you may remember the patent that was awarded to multimap.com
back in 2000-2001. We all thought it was dead, but I came across a blog
a few days ago (http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=68) that leads to the
conclusion that Microsoft (who bought multimap.com) may have started
licensing this patent (or some related one).

I don't think there is much to worry about given the amount of prior
art, but since this blog was very well written and contained lots of
interesting references, I started a page in the OSGeo wiki to keep a
trace of all that collective knowledge, in case it is ever needed.

The wiki entry is at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_Mapping_Patents, and
as for any wiki, you are welcome to contribute any relevant info that
you may have.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette