[mapserver-users] how MapServer manage the hyperlinks in the shapefile data table

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 11:35:08 EST 2009

Yes there is.  Look into the query and template functions in MapServer.

In the shapefile you should try to store a minimal representation of the hyperlink.  Like a ID or a relative URL.  That way if the look up system, or server, changes you do not need to do a complete update of your shapefile.

So, for example, say you had a column called "OBJECTID" that contained a unique identifier for the feature that is used in other systems.

In a template file you can do the following: