[mapserver-users] Mapserver PROJECTION - MapInfo Non-Earth (meters) projection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 10:47:50 EST 2009

Matej wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bunch of MapInfo layers which are saved in a Non-Earth (meters)
> projection. When doing ogrinfo on one of such files, I get:
> Geometry: Line String
> Feature Count: 177
> Extent: (577197.926321, 163752.612753) - (583056.262978, 168205.527060)
> Layer SRS WKT:
> LOCAL_CS["Nonearth",
>     UNIT["Meter",1.0]]
> What would be the best procedure to get Mapserver's WMS server working
> on it? I have no idea which projection to choose in mapfile, is my only
> option left to change projections in MapInfo and use changed layers?

Matej,

If you are not too concerned about where you are in the world, you can just
fake the coordinate system.  Just declare it to be some EPSG coordinate system
that is well behaved over a large range.  Perhaps EPSG:3349 and global
mercator projection.

So, just use PROJECTION "init=epsg:3349" END for your map and layers, and
use EPSG:3349 in the WMS metadata anywhere it needs to know the area.

Then any custom WMS client hardcoded to your region of interest should be
ok. But this setup won't work with general purpose clients that are trying
to integrate the results with datasets in other projections.

Best regards,