[mapserver-users] Rendering order of objects in a layer

David Nugent davidn at datalinktech.com.au
Wed Jun 10 09:41:48 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Is there any way in which the rendering order of objects in a layer can be
determined by mapserver?

For example, I want to ensure that major roads (highways, arterials) are
rendered after local/minor/unimproved roads when all are rendered as a
single layer; which tends to make joins between them look much nicer if
the major roads are rendered first.

This is for vector data coming from postgis, which ultimately results in
executing the query on a view. I hesitate to fiddle with forcing index use
here as I would think the gist queries on the geometry field would come
into play.  However, the results in the query seem to drop by chance
regardless if the order of CLASS sections in the mapfile (which is what I
would expect).

Regards,
David