[mapserver-users] Charset problems with GetFeatureInfo-Request

Johannes Sommer Johann.online at gmx.de
Tue Jun 23 10:28:44 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm getting wrong characters (german umlauts) when I send a GetFeatureInfo-Request.
It looks like Mapserver treats the data as encoded in UTF-8.

Example (plain text):
------------------------
GetFeatureInfo results:

Layer 'Test'
  Feature 158:
    NAME = 'Ehrenbürg und Katzenköpfe'
------------------------

The attribut content should be: 'Ehrenbürg und Katzenköpfe'

I assume (that's what the Capabilities-document tells me) that Mapserver's default charset is ISO-8859-1.

System:
- Debian Etch(iso-8859-1)
- Apache2 (iso-8859-1)
- Mapserver 5.4.1 (?)
- Oracle 10.2 (GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8MSWIN1252)
- NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8MSWIN1252
- ArcSDE 9.2

Is Mapserver aware of the oracle system variable NLS_LANG when connecting to ArcSDE? When I connect through SQLPlus to the database, there is no charset problem, because SQLPlus depends on NLS_LANG.
Changing the NLS_LANG variable didn't change the result of GetFeatureInfo in my tests.

I read about the thread of Russel McOrmond (http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org/msg05435.html) and hoped that the Charset issue would be solved in 5.4. But I'm still stuck with this problem.

It seems that this is not an ArcSDE-problem. I queried a Shapefile (exported from ArcSDE though) with a GetFeatureInfo-Request with the same (wrong) results.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Johannes