[mapserver-users] expected speeds.

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Wed May 6 16:48:22 EDT 2009

Hi Sam

I would try turning the Coastline layer into a Shapefile and serving it from the Mapserver machine in a local directory. Postgis is probably overkill given the layer is probably static (unlikely to need changing).

regards,

Robert

>>> Sam Ingarfield <sjfingarfield at gmail.com> 7/05/2009 2:27 a.m. >>>
Hi;

I've just been through a bit of an optimisation process on my server and was wondering whether the speeds that I am obtaining are somewhat inline with what could be expected with the hardware/datasets that are in use.

Firstly: Hardware.
2.2Ghz Xeon (Single Core, but with hyperthreading. not that hyperthreading helps much.)
1.2Gb Memory coupled with over 2Gb of swap (was filling up memory and original swap realllly fast so swap was expanded)
Data being served off an array of three ultra320 15k scsi drives in a raid-5 config.

Software.
OS: Debian
Mapserver: Nighly build as of 6/5/09, in fastcgi mode
Data source: Postgis database

Data:
Coastline Layer (9 Polygons with a stupid number of vertices, this is a known slow point due to toast table problems. or at least we think it is)
Islands Layer (~9000 polygons, only ~4mb)
Internal Waterbodies layer (~11000 polygons, plus ~1.2m lines, 800mb all up)

Performance:
On a moderate zoom level, about 2s per 256x256 tile.
On more zoomed out levels, process times out before completing. and yes, some generalisation needs to take place at further out zoomage but thats not sorted yet.
If i drop the coastline layer out (the toast problem one), speed ups to like 80-100ms/tile

So, watchathink?

Click here ( https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg== ) to report this email as spam.
The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.