[mapserver-users] Speed of PostGIS vs Shapefiles in MapServer 5.4

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Thu May 7 23:18:49 EDT 2009

> Most of them are not overly complex or large, is there still significant
> benefit to using them from shapefiles, or is it becoming a more closely
> run race between sources.

It's impossible to say for sure, based on the nuances of your use case.
But in my experience PostGIS is at least as fast as shapefiles. It
supports indexing and smarter data-seeking than a flat file can, and
lays the blocks on disk and caches them in memory better than a flat
file can.

Of course, when it comes to updates and deletions and other such
accesses, writing a Python-OGR program to update a shapefile is far less
pleasant than using any ol' DBI you like too!

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security