[mapserver-users] Speed of PostGIS vs Shapefiles in MapServer 5.4

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu May 7 23:12:52 EDT 2009

G'day all,

I see a rewrite of PostGIS handling was a major achievement in the 5.4
Release. I have a number of polygon layers that I use on a fairly
static basis (political boundaries etc) but I vaccilate between using
them from:

PostGIS (for convenience - I use them for analysis as well so they are
in the database anyway, easy to backup and keep consistent between
servers) or from
Shapefiles (exported because they were faster to render).

Most of them are not overly complex or large, is there still
significant benefit to using them from shapefiles, or is it becoming a
more closely run race between sources.

cheers

Ben

--