[mapserver-users] understanding behind the GetFeatureInfo...

Martin Ouellet geomartino at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 09:14:06 EST 2009

Hi,

Here the results of some tests I've made yesterday to really understand the
process of a GetFeatureInfo call with MapServer.  Please let me know if I'am
mistaking:

1) GetFeatureInfo with INFO_FORMAT=text/plain
Result: the tag TEMPLATE must be specify (with a dummy file).  Then you can
control the returned values with the METADATA tag
ows_<include|exclude>_items or wms_<include|exclude>_items

2) GetFeatureInfo with INFO_FORMAT=gml
Result: the tag DUMP must be set to TRUE and the TEMPLATE must be specify
(with a dummy file).  Then you can control the returned value with the
METADATA tag gml_<include|exclude>_items

3) GetFeatureInfo with INFO_FORMAT=text/html
Result: the only required tag is TEMPLATE (a dummy file will return no
data).  But if you supply a valid html template, ALL the field will be
returned because the METADATA tag ows_<include|exclude>_items
or wms_<include|exclude>_items are ignored.  So if my layer is a Oracle
spatial table, I must then create a view to expose only the field I want.
 Would it be relevant to control the field with the "wms_include_items" tag
? Is there a reason why is not working that way?

MartinOuellet