[mapserver-users] understanding behind the GetFeatureInfo...

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Nov 19 11:32:35 EST 2009

Martin Ouellet wrote:

> In a real case scenario, if a table structure beyond a layer change, I
> will have to modify the html template but also all the wms|ows|gml
> include items.  It's not such a big deal but since we have around 300
> layer to maintain, It would been convenient to have a unique list of
> field to updated.  It would also reduce the risk of error (ex: allowing
> one field in the gml mode but not in the html mode)

I see your point, but unfortunately even if there was include/exclude
items support for HTML templates, you would still need to edit the
template everytime there is a change to insert the tags defining the
location of each attribute value inside the HTML template... that's the
whole idea of using a template. If all you care about is returning the
attribute values in raw or list format, presumably to let the client do
the presentation/formatting, then GML is probably a better info_format
anyway and maybe you should not worry about HTML at all.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/