[mapserver-users] SYMBOLSET does not work on Linux (CentOS 4.2), but FONTSET works

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 08:48:25 EST 2009

I have compiled MapServer 5.4.2, PHP 5.2.11, and Apache 2.2.14 on a CentOS 4.2 box. I also have compiled Geos 3.11, GDAL 1.6.2, and Proj 4.7.0. Here is the result of mapserv -v:
MapServer version 5.4.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I tried small PHP MapScript page to test it, as well as a simple mapfile. Everything works fine (including raster and PostGIS-stored maps), until I tried to use SYMBOLSET on my mapfile. It just doesn't work.

All I got is a blank screen. The "normal" HTML part still shows, but everything from <?php $map = ms_newMapObj('mapfile') just disappears.

By the way, I never got any error message with this compilation. It also happens with other kind of errors.

First I thought that I put the ./symbols directory in the wrong place (or I refer to the directory wrong way), but I have tried everything ad nauseam. SYMBOLSET just doesn't work.

Funnily enough, SYMBOLSET work flawlessly on my MS4W. Windows XP. MapServer 5.0.2, Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.5.

Here is the result of mapserv -v of the ms4w:
MapServer version 5.0.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

However, FONTSET works on both the Linux box and my Windows laptop.

What happens? I attached the symbol.sym file. I think the .sym is pretty simple, why does it cause error?

Thanks & Regards,
-Kresh