[mapserver-users] Map from .OSM

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Nov 25 22:38:00 EST 2009

abul khayer wrote:

> Can Mapserver render map from .OSM(Open street map) file directly?
>
> I want to use mapserserver and Openlayer to render a map of .OSM. Though
> i get some help from below tutorial,
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData
> But it use postgis and there need conversion.

Hi Abul,

No mapserver can not read the .osm file directly and it probably does
not make sense to even try to do that as the .osm is not designed for
for fast spatial access. If you want to be able to render the maps
quickly you need to read the .osm file and extract the information and
attributes into postgis tables or shapefiles or something that is
organized for fast access.

postgresql and postgis install very easily on windows or linux and if
you follow the steps outlined below it should just work.

-Steve W