[mapserver-users] tile4ms - Layer object STATUS

Ted Spradley tspradley at snoogems.com
Fri Oct 2 20:01:18 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Still working on basics.  Now tiling.  Following the steps to tile data on
http://mapserver.org/utilities/tile4ms.html#tile4ms.

1. With STATUS ON, MS does not display the tiled data at any zoom level
2. With STATUS DEFAULT, MS displays the tiled data at all zoom levels

I have scratched my head over this one.  Your thoughts please?  The steps
followed and the associated mapfile are below.  The commented out lines are
exactly as in the actual file from debugging.

Thank you!

Ted S.

Steps from http://mapserver.org/utilities/tile4ms.html#tile4ms:

1. Create the meta-file
# find *areawater.shp -print > areawater_list.txt

2. Execute tile4ms
# tile4ms areawater_list.txt areawaterindex

3. areawaterindex.dbf, areawaterindex.shp, areawaterindex.dbx are created
     (I notice the contents of areawaterindex.dbf is only a single column,
LOCATION.  The instructional
      page shows an ID column)

4. Create the layer object for the mapfile.

Mapfile
######################

MAP
	SIZE		1600 800
	EXTENT		-125 24 -65 50
	UNITS DD
	PROJECTION
	  "proj=latlong"
	  "ellps=GRS80"
	  "datum=NAD83"
	  "no_defs"
	END
    IMAGETYPE PNG24
	WEB
		TEMPLATE	"/path/to/templates/mapserver.html"
		IMAGEPATH	"/path/to/temp/"
		IMAGEURL	"/temp/"
		METADATA
			"wms_title" "WMS Map Server"