[mapserver-users] Querying layers for feature attributes

Ted Spradley tspradley at snoogems.com
Thu Oct 8 19:29:42 EDT 2009

Hi all!

Trying to step through building a basic Mapserver application.

I am having difficulty discovering how to query my layers and display
the query result(s).  Can someone point me to documention or outline
the basic steps needed to:

1. make a mapfile layer queryable?
2. output the query results as an image?
3. output the query results as gml?

I have been trying to gleen this information from the documentation for at
least two weeks and have to admit I am lost.

I have successfully:

1. output maps to a html template
2. output maps to a html template from a mapfile whose
	layers are CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
3. output maps from query results with queries built into
	my MAPFILE DATA object using POSTGIS with hardcoded
	values for column names in my pgsql database

I have found doc references that are not all clear to:

1. the QUERYMAP object within the MAP object
2. the TEMPLATE object within the LAYER object
3. the OUTPUTFORMAT object within the MAP object
4. the FORMATOPTION object within the OUTPUTFORMAT object

I am sure there must exist a way to:

1. pass a query to the mapfile containing cgi variable values
2. define the mode for mapserv to know a query is coming
3. output the results graphically and as text

Thanks for any guidance,

Ted S.

MapServer version 5.4.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=THREADS INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE