[mapserver-users] Control access to WMS

Joshua Hevenor jhevenor at rogers.com
Tue Oct 13 15:44:42 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,
I haven't seen a reply here yet so I thought I throw in my 2 cents. I don't know of anything specific in MapServer that would do what you're looking for. But many/most WMS services are run through a wrapper script (php or server-side script of your choice). It would be pretty easy to put an if statement checking who the requesting machine is, and limit it to be a the host machine. You could also return a 403 error for requests you want to deny or re-direct to your application. This is how I would most likely tackle this.

Alternatively, the easiest  option would be  to state the limitation in your access/usage constraints (Only to be viewed through http://your app.com) in the service metadata. The easiest, though possibly the least effective.

I hope this helps,

Josh