[mapserver-users] WMS shootout, ESRI and ERDAS

Bruce Foster gis.foster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:20:22 EDT 2009

Well responded,

I must make a very clear note here. I have NO relation with GS or MS
or OSGeo or involved in the benchmarking. I'm one of those users of
various products and I do benchmarking on my own for various reasons.
I just follow the industry ...

In the past I have down benchmarking of ESRI, ERDAS, Manifold,
MicroStation, etc for various reason. These are purely from the
customer point of view and we did find serious issues with all of
them. Good and bad as one would expect. So, no big hype here.

The point is, be it commercial or open source or what ever, its the
right of the customer to know the basics to start with. Most of the
time, the sales guys of commercial world will convince the customer of
their product, but only to realize that its not what it was promised.
If someone wants to argue on this point, then I'm ready to reveal a
big list of customers to whom I advice in a private and exclusive
conversation. I don't want to get into that track either.

So, before making any claim let the basics be known to the customers.
This goes for ALL products. I must appreciate GS and MS for taking the
lead on this approach. These guys have lot of issues, but they are
ready to admit in public.

Chris, I have asked few guys from your company for a simple
benchmarking while advising some customers. Well, till date I could
not get one. So, what are your trying to imply here? I know there is
no conspiracy or what ever. What we need is some basic information
(see my post in your web forum). Keep a note, what you see is not
always true, need to back up with technical results. See you soon.

What happens the commercial customer, once they pay for the product...
OK wait for the next release and we are coming with THAT feature...
does this sound something sweet to hears?

I know benchmarking is NOT everything, but that's the STARTING point.
Let me get that message very clear to everyone who has time to ready
my post. You miss this point, you lost the opportunity.

Over and out... will not respond any more to this thread.

--
Bruce
NSW, Australia

--