[mapserver-users] Changing WMS Styles on the FLy

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Oct 16 17:49:10 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I've got a WMS server that that's doing a great job supplying about
40-50 layers of US national data to a project in Philadelphia, but now
the client wants to be able to change layer styles interactively. So
what I'd like to know is using SLD the best way to approach this? Since
you can pass SLD info back to the server along with a GetMap request, it
seems that SLD was designed for this job.   Or would it be easier to
interactively modify a mapfile directly before issuing a getmap (would
that even work?) What other ways are there to interactively change how a
layer is styled?

I'm not very familiar with SLD yet, but it sounds like you have to set
up a configuration file in XML, and then you pass its location to the
system in a GetMap request. Could you also just pass serialized XML in
the GetMap instead of a UIRL to _change_ a style? Or do you always have
to use a configuration file? I'm still studying up on this, but I 'm
curious whether this is the right approach to interactively change later
styles or if I should be looking at something else altogether.

Thanks!
- Bill Thoen