[mapserver-users] Shapefiles with islands

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Oct 21 05:54:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

My comments:

- Lakes in OSM data are in a very bad shape. Tagging habits and "multipolygon" relation thing do not work well at least with big lakes with islands.
- Maybe because the tagging of lakes and islands is not standardized the data extracts, for example "waters" in Cloudmade shapefiles, are close to useless. I have looked only shapefiles of Finland but I guess that situation is the same with data from Sweden.
- Have a look at OSM building polygons which are also multipolygon relations. Mapserver is drawing them fine. At least it does so for me with the set-up described here: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData
- I think that problem is in the OSM lake data and/or Cloudmade extracts, not in Mapserver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-