[mapserver-users] Any ways to increase performance of Mapserver?

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Wed Oct 21 08:51:54 EDT 2009

Hello again,

I've compiled mapserver with fast cgi support and I've installed fastcgi
on my apache. All seems ok, but I'm not sure if mapserver runs as
fastcgi! I followed the instructions from here:
http://mapserver.org/optimization/fastcgi.html

Here's what I've added in the configuration:

in httpd.conf (Apache2):

LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
  AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
  FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fastcgi
  FastCgiConfig -initial-env PROJ_LIB=/usr/share/proj -initial-env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib
-appConnTimeout 60 -idle-timeout 60 -init-start-delay 1  -minProcesses 2
-maxClassProcesses 30 -startDelay 5
</IfModule>

When httpd restarts, I get in the logs that fastcgi starts ok:
[Wed Oct 21 15:43:04 2009] [notice] FastCGI: process manager initialized
(pid 12570)

I think I should somehow link mapserv to fastcgi - because I see no
obvious connection. The script handler is only for .fcgi, but
mapserver's compilation didn't generate any fcgi files... It seems to
me, mapserver still runs as a cgi process. If I list the running
processes when there are no queries to the webserver, there is no
mapserv process. When I list the processes while doing queries, there
are several mapserv processes running.

Thanks,
Adrian