SV: [mapserver-users] Shapefiles with islands

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Oct 21 11:10:34 EDT 2009

I'm not using the OpenStreetMap data but am rendering and querying lots
of complex lake
polygons with multiple outer rings (basins) and inner rings (islands).
You need not do anything
special. Sounds like a data production problem more so than a MapServer
bug. Here's a sample:

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv56?mode=map&map=/usr/local/mapserver/apps/mr/landview/landview.map&mapext=523963.26347152865+5289818.927668251+570217.999745758+5313957.83079347&mapsize=1006+525&layers=lakes+roads+bdry_munipy3&layer=bdry_statepy2&map.imagetype=aggpng24

All the lakes are multi-polygons...

For example, if islands are represented as individual features and not
inner rings of lake
polygons then you might be running into draw order issues. MapServer
renders the features
in the order they show up in the shapefile. I suppose it's possible
then that islands might
be getting drawn before the lake (which has no holes). If that's the
case (try drawing
outlines only and no fill) then you'd need to sort the data based on
some sort of land
 vs. water attribute so that lakes are drawn first then the islands on
top.

>>> On 10/21/2009 at 12:33 AM, in message
<2349CC72A0B01C4FAA4FFAE6C735E1DDE293AD at enerasrv01.Enera.local>, "Lars
Westerlind" <lars.westerlind at enera.se> wrote:
> So,
> How is the lack of response to be interpreted? Nobody render islands
in
> lakes? Everybody make their own data extracts? Or there are other
(for me)
> hidden sources of information?
>
> /Lars

Data,
> where lakes are tagged as multipolygons, with islands as inner
polygons.
> The source I use, mainly the "Mapserver recommended" cloudmade make
> simple extracts where those inner polygons are simply skipped,
AFAIU.