SV: [mapserver-users] Shapefiles with islands

Steve Grey stevegrey78 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:31:18 EDT 2009

Lars,

I looked at the data from cloudmade, the lake you pointed to is a
multipolygon containing a single non-donut polygon.  The other natural areas
that overlap that area float on top, there are no holes - and so some
features draw under the lake.

Also tried the shapefiles from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/, but
couldn't get them to convert for me so I could see their construction.

As osm is displaying the data it might be a matter of the conversion taking
only the first (outer) ring of a (multi)polygon and ignoring the donuts.
The raw xml from openstreetmap for that area contains several elements with
'Bolmen' wheras the shapefile from cloudmade only contains one feature with
a name of Bolmen, my guess here would be there are several rings.  But it
doesn't look like you can extract a large area into xml.  I haven't looked
at Sollerön so I can't say what is going on there.

Do try the osm lists and see what they can suggest.

Steve