[mapserver-users] Use of palette file: Problems with changing colors when tiling

Espen Isaksen espen.isaksen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 06:25:16 EDT 2009

Hi!

We are testing out using a palette file in our outputformat to
decrease file size in the png output. Most of the time this works
great, but some times when we are tiling the data we get some errors.
The color seem to shift to a similar color from one tile to another.

We have added the colors we use in the map file in the palette.txt
file. The documentation says it needs 256 colors in the map file, but
we do not use that many colors right now. (we tried adding the same
color more than one time, but that created other problems....)

I have attached a png file showing the problem across a lake. The
color on the right side is the correct color and the color we have
added to the palette file. The color on the left side of the lake is
not something we have set.

I have also added the palette.txt file and the outputformat we use is this:

         OUTPUTFORMAT
                        NAME             "png"
                        DRIVER           "AGG/PNG"
                        MIMETYPE         "image/png"
                        IMAGEMODE        "rgb"
                        EXTENSION        "png"
                        FORMATOPTION     "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE"
                        FORMATOPTION     "PALETTE=/data/maps/palette.txt"
                 END

Does anybody know why this happens in Mapserver and how to fix it?

Espen