[mapserver-users] WMS Client Error Handling

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Sep 15 18:50:37 EDT 2009

I'm implementing a WMS proxy server using PHP mapscript. I'm fetching
the capabilities programmatically and storing them in a database and
then building a mapfile on the fly. The mapfile contains multiple
"connectiontype WMS" layers, and I'd like to be able to (a) determine
when one of the WMS client requests has failed, and (b) get the error
message returned for each failed layer. I'm starting to think this may
not be possible currently, and it seems that the code for doing anything
like this has been pushed back for a while [
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1246 ].

Any chance that I'm wrong and there is already a way to do this? Anybody
else interested in this feature? Anybody already done something like this?

I guess the alternatives are to either try to implement this myself in
mapserver, or perhaps drop mapserver altogether for my proxy application
and just do my own WMS requests and image compositing because I guess
that is all that I am using mapserver for right now.

Thanks,
Chris