[mapserver-users] Dynamically generated Raster images in mapfile

Jörg Thomsen jt at mapmedia.de
Thu Apr 8 08:56:33 EDT 2010

Hello Heiko,

Heiko Schröter wrote:
> i need to create Raster images on the fly and place them on a map generated with Mapserver.
> The time needed for generating these images is not crucial.
> An external script is triggered to generate these images.
>
> 1) Is it possible to define in a mapfile a "data/image source" coming from a script ?

I don't think, that it would work with
DATA 'anyscript'
because this is reading the source, not executing it.

But a WMS is doing what you are asking for:
 > create Raster images on the fly
so perhaps you could use your script as WMS and call it with
CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
CONNECTION "http://.../yourscript"

you could add the parameters your script needs directly to the
connection-string.
CONNECTION "http://.../yourscript?param1=gtf&gt2=..."

Regards, Jörg

> or
> 2) Is it possible to rediret the output of the script as input to mapserver ?
>
> Stepping through the docs the only solution i can think of in the moment is to generate a temp.img (and temp.tlw)and pass that filename as variable to the DATA tag inside the mapfile.
> Any pointer to some more infos is highly appreciated.
>
> Preprocessing is not a solution since we have dozends of options for generating the images.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Heiko

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-akademie.de/

MapMedia
Kartographie und raumbezogene Informationssysteme

Gillweg 3, 14193 Berlin
fon: +49 30 89 06 82-70
fax: +49 30 89 09 53-21
mail: jt at mapmedia.de
net:  www.mapmedia.de

Geschäftsführer: G. v. Tschirnhaus, J. Thomsen, P. Stamm
Registergericht, Berlin - Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 89625, Umsatzsteuer-Identnummer: DE 813794062