[mapserver-users] Dynamically generated Raster images in mapfile

adams adams at terrestris.de
Thu Apr 8 09:12:05 EDT 2010

Heiko,

If you know your generated filename you also could add it as
Vendorspecific parameter to the map-request:

Request http://.... map=/path/to/mapfile.map&params....
&filename=yourfile.tif

In the mapfile you need sth. like that:

LAYER
 TYPE RASTER
 DATA /path/to/%filename%

I'm not quite sure, if I hit the correct syntax just from mind. See here:
http://mapserver.org/mapfile/variable_sub.html

Till

Jörg Thomsen wrote:
> Hello Heiko,
>
> Heiko Schröter wrote:
>> i need to create Raster images on the fly and place them on a map
>> generated with Mapserver.
>> The time needed for generating these images is not crucial.
>> An external script is triggered to generate these images.
>>
>> 1) Is it possible to define in a mapfile a "data/image source" coming
>> from a script ?
>
> I don't think, that it would work with
> DATA 'anyscript'
> because this is reading the source, not executing it.
>
> But a WMS is doing what you are asking for:
> > create Raster images on the fly
> so perhaps you could use your script as WMS and call it with
> CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
> CONNECTION "http://.../yourscript"
>
> you could add the parameters your script needs directly to the
> connection-string.
> CONNECTION "http://.../yourscript?param1=gtf&gt2=..."
>
> Regards, Jörg
>

>> or
>> 2) Is it possible to rediret the output of the script as input to
>> mapserver ?
>>
>> Stepping through the docs the only solution i can think of in the
>> moment is to generate a temp.img (and temp.tlw)and pass that filename
>> as variable to the DATA tag inside the mapfile.
>> Any pointer to some more infos is highly appreciated.
>>
>> Preprocessing is not a solution since we have dozends of options for
>> generating the images.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>> Heiko

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG