[mapserver-users] Mapserver vs Geoserver

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Apr 16 18:15:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

There are differences, like (as you note below) if you require WFS-T then mapserver will not be of much use. Most differences are due to the java vs cgi underlying approaches. The config gui for geoserver is nice, but a bit of experience scribbling (or cut'n pasting) mapfiles means the gui is not that big a difference (IMHO)

The fundamental difference for me is that every mapserver mapfile effectively instantiates a new OGC service provider with its own set of layers, geoserver, however, is a single monolithic service providing all defined layers in the one URL.

 I want a single server providing lots of custom WMS/WFS services, from mostly PostGIS databases, but also raster tilesets, shapefiles, etc... Mapserver provides this (at present) far more easily than geoserver - so my choice is simple.

Also, last time I looked, Mapserver works more effectively than Geoserver with PostGIS. For example, the mapserver pre-processor with variable substitution allows me to provide a mapfile with a single layer, say querying a table of recorded species locations with 1200 species, in a single query: " ... where species ='%SPP%' ...". The URL querying the service can pass in the value mapserver will use in place of SPP when the query is passed to Postgis.

So a single query (layer) in a mapfile provides access to 1200 available layers. AFAIK, geoserver cannot provide this sort of functionality & flexibility with both embedded SQL queries specifying a layer content & runtime variable substitution.

Those are the differences that in my case make mapserver more appropriate. Future versions of geoserver may tip the balance :-)

HTH,

  Brent Wood