[mapserver-users] WMS Orthophoto performance

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Aug 2 10:43:53 EDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 5:06 AM, Cédric MOULLET wrote:
> Hello,
> We've got a 150 GB ECW dataset (aerial imagery) and the LAYER
> configuration uses a TILEINDEX.
> We can observe a WMS request time of about 3 seconds (on a server with
> this configuration: 7.5 GB RAM, 4 core, 64 bits / MapServer 5.4.3).
> I'd like to know if 3 seconds is considered as a normal response time
> for this kind of WMS request.
> What could be done in order to improve this performance (I'm aware of
> http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/raster.html) ?
> Thanks !
> Cédric

Wow, that's a big file.  Is that all in one file?  I dont really know
the answer, I've never used anything over 4 gig, but I do have a few
questions:

1) I assume you are IO bound, do you have this on a raid, or something
with fast IO?  Can you check to see if you are CPU bound or IO bound?

2) if it is one big file, how would you feel about trying it broken up
into smaller files?

-Andy