[mapserver-users] Using MapServer for Variable Data Printing

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Aug 24 14:03:04 EDT 2010

Jeff,

Here is a high level overview of what you need to do:

You will likely need tools for:

1. geocoding
2. routing
3. mapping

And you will need data to power each of these for the quality and
coverage area that your are interested.

Then you will need to glue these together into an application that
allows you or a user to define a print map or family of maps as in a
mailer where each map is a template using a unique address or location
like in a mail merge.

Each tools above will have its own issues and learning curve.

Part of your difficultly finding information is that this is a specific
use application and those that exist were probably purpose built. So it
you want to build it yourself, then I might think about starting with
OpenLayers and using some existing webservices to get started building
you application. Then you can migrate the webservices over to your own
internal tools as you need to.

<shameless plug>
You could also look at http://imaptools.com/ for geocoding, routing, and
mapping solutions that you could drop into you application on the server
side. I'm sure there are others that have similar offerings.
</shameless plug>

Hope this helps with the overall context.

-Steve W